Personal Growth :Pin the Tail on the Purpose


By Dan Langerock

My Early Life:
I grew up with epilepsy and blindness, among other things. Due to this, it took me a long time to find my niche and purpose in life. Like the game Pin the Tail on the Donkey, I was going in circles trying to find the right answers that would give me fulfillment. Maybe you have experienced this also? John F. Kennedy said, "Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction."

Trying to find my purpose:
My parents owned a poultry ranch and I helped on the egg routes, which helped me to learn salesmanship. But this was not my ultimate purpose, just a means to make a living until that destiny was found.

Rehabilitation tried to get me trained as an accountant, but that didn't work out because of my bad eyesight. I never was totally blind, but was considered partially sighted. I changed majors three times during my college years, but none of these were my purpose. Have you felt this degree of frustration in your life?

Not being able to expand my horizon:
The second problem that kept me from finding the right destiny was people not allowing me to try different things because of my disabilities. Yes, they were trying to keep me from disappointments and failures, but this delayed my maturity. The doctor had told my parents to treat me like a normal child, but this was not what happened.

Had to "fight" to be myself:
The final difficulty was those who tried to steer me into vocations I was not able to do. My Dad wanted me to be a school custodian and maintenance person. But, after he retired from this job, I could not continue doing it because I was never able to drive. As a result, there was always tension between us.

God gave me a wonderful purpose:
Finally, God showed me that he wanted me to be a minister. This was the perfect fit because I could more easily empathize with people because of what I had gone through. Additionally, I would be able to help people even though I had things "wrong" with me. God's purposes for me were not sidetracked. He could use me for his glory and praise despite my imperfections.

I became a hospital chaplain for 10 years until my first wife became too sick for me to leave her without someone there to help her. Since her death, I have remarried and worked at teaching Bible studies, ethics, grief classes, and volunteering in my community.

Everything came together from the past to help my future:
All those classes I took in college were not wasted. My purpose from God included the need for those subjects I learned in the past. Romans 8:28 in the Bible says, "For we know that all things work together for good to them that love God and are called according to his purpose."

He can use the good and the bad things in life to help us find his purpose for us. Besides, he knows us better than we know ourselves. He does not give us hope and purpose to harm us, but out of the abundance of his love.(Jeremiah 29:11)

What have you learned from this article?
To be more compassionate toward people with disadvantages to overcome?
To be a good listener?
Maybe be a mentor to someone who is struggling?
How will you put into practice what you have learned?

Many books, articles, and blogs have been written about finding your purpose. One notable book was written by Rick Warren, The Purpose-Driven Life. I will be telling part of my own story about my quest to find purpose and meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Dunia Aneh Blog 89

Salah satu yang Hebat

Salah satu yang Hebat Buku Harian yang terhormat, Malam ini mungkin malam terakhir untuk sementara waktu. Saya pergi ke program khusus it...