Bring Back the Invitation


By Laura M Schroeder

No church is perfect. Each has practices I like and dislike. I especially like those who practice the open communion meaning all are welcome to participate. What I miss is the altar call. Granted, when I was a kid listening to all six verses of a hymn waiting for someone to come forward so we could end felt like forever.

We've gotten contemporary music and denominations to accommodate every flavor of styles people are drawn to. What is missing is the invitation for a relationship with the savior we worship.

When I was five, my dad asked if I wanted to go down the aisle. I didn't understand what that meant at the moment. I just remembered the theme song to "Gilligan's Isle". I thought we were going to see Gilligan. When we got to the front, the lady next to me was crying. I said, "Hey lady, why are you crying?" She said they were happy tears. I didn't understand that either.

Later that week, the pastor came to our house and explained it to me. We prayed and I asked Jesus into my heart. I was baptized soon after.

When I held services for four years at our local men's rescue mission, I didn't offer an altar call because I thought the staff may not want a woman who was not a pastor doing it. I sang and shared stories. I did build relationships with the guys and they told me I made a difference in their lives.

If I ever get the opportunity again, I will. The great thing about music is the message within the lyrics. It stays with people. Have you ever heard a song you couldn't get out of your head?

Also, the great thing about writing is the reader decides what they will do with the words in their life. I'd like to share what I wish I had said to the guys. You're here for a reason. Your choices may have led you to this place but you get to decide where to go from here. Jesus willingly laid down his life for our sins, mistakes, whatever you want to call them. He is waiting to walk with you. You never have to walk alone again.

Please come. People are flawed and some will disappoint you. You are welcome at the table. Lay your burdens at his feet. I care and so does he.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Dunia Aneh Blog 89

Salah satu yang Hebat

Salah satu yang Hebat Buku Harian yang terhormat, Malam ini mungkin malam terakhir untuk sementara waktu. Saya pergi ke program khusus it...